[Dixielandjazz] The Nazi Rules for Dance Orchestras

david richoux domitype at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 08:15:25 PDT 2012

Steve,

This has popped up on DJML several times in the past (in various
forms.) There is no firm evidence that it is true (and Nazi rules have
been researched for decades.) While there were certainly restrictions
on popular music (and other arts) imposed by the Nazi government,
these exact rules are only based on the recollections of one person.

Snopes has not made a proclamation on this, but there has been some
discussion: http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=49218

This article has some interesting related info:
http://www.return2style.de/swingaring/amijazz3.htm

Dave Richoux