[Dixielandjazz] query re jazz on the tube and 20s jazz-- Bill Haesler responds

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Thu Apr 5 07:38:50 PDT 2012

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list;  DJML
From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

I wrote a note to Bill Haesler-- jazz writer, broadcaster, historian,
discographer, washboard player-- asking about his listening habits,
especially if he found the JazzOnTheTube and 20s jazz postings  personally
valuable to him.  Bill is a longtime contributor to Dixieland Jazz Mailing
List  and  is frequently the authoritative word settling discographical
arguments.  In fact, some years ago, he kindly and gently clarified my
thinking about Atlanta blues guitarists.  During my medical school days in
Atlanta, I regularly  heard 12 string guitarist Blind Willie McTell who
played at a drive-in tavern in my neighborhood.  I had wrongly assumed that
he had also gone by an alias as Barbeque Bob.

Bill also kindly contributes to this list as well.  He's a native of
Melbourne but has lived in Sydney over half his life.  He writes articles,
liner notes, and is considered, as mentioned above, an expert  in
discographical matters.
   On Australia Day, 26th January 2005, Bill Haesler was awarded the Medal
of the Order of Australia (OAM) for service to jazz music as an
administrator, historian, writer, radio presenter and performer.

_Bill Haesler wrote ( slightly edited with deletion of some personal
material)
_________________

Dear Norman,
Forgive my delay in replying.
Currently, I am "flat out like a lizard drinking" (an old Australian
expression).
Jazz activities and the usual family bits and interruptions took up at least
half, or more, of every day the last week and I still have several busy days
to go. Including an all day trip (by train) to Newcastle tomorrow to discuss
the possibility of the 2013 Australian Jazz Convention being held there.
Newcastle is 100 miles north and I am a longtime AJC Trustee.

Yes, I was invited to subscribe to the 20s Jazz site run by Matt Chauvin and
receive his daily posts.
However, much of the material, especially the 20s recordings has been in my
collection from my 78rpm days, although now on CD.
I enjoy the film clips and, using the application 'YouTube To MP3',
occasionally add the soundtracks and rarer 78s to my iTunes library.

It is providing a valuable service to many jazz people who do not know some
things exist.
Like JRM's "Burning The Iceberg" the other day.

I have never considered myself a jazz critic and purposely over the years
have avoided reviewing jazz records.
My cover notes are always intended to provide information, not tell the
purchaser that "the plunger solo is wonderful."
Something that is obvious from listening.
Very kind regards,
Bill.