[Dixielandjazz] Satchmo at the National Press Club

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 1 14:45:13 PDT 2012

Stephen G Barbone posted details of this long-lost item:
> ...Louis Armstrong' performance at the National Press Club will be released by Folkways Records. It was one of his last performances before his death in 1971 and while recorded, was not previously released.
>
> March 29, 2012,  NY TIMES - By James C. McKinley Jr.
> A 1971 Armstrong Performance to Be Released as Album

Thank you Steve,
This performance has always intrigued Louis collectors.

Louis Armstrong At The National Press Club:
Louis Armstrong (t/vcl) Tyree Glenn (tb) Tommy Gwaltney (cl) + unknown (p, sb. d) David Frost (compere)
Washington, D.C. 29 January 1971
    When It's Sleepy Time Down South
    Louis raps Hello Dolly
    Rockin' Chair
    Boy From New Orleans
    When It's sleepy Time Down South
    Mack The Knife
    When It's Sleepy Time Down South

Hopefully, we will at last find out who the rhythm section was.
And get the LP notes.

> The remaining six tracks on the album came from a tribute concert Mr. Glenn’s combo did at the press club shortly after Armstrong’s death, including many of his hits, like “Royal Garden Blues” and “Crazy Rhythm.”

These previously unknown (to me) Tyree Glenn items are a welcome bonus.
I sincerely hope that this new CD gets worldwide circulation and is not restricted to "US sales only", as was a previous Louis' release.
Very kind regards,
Bill.