[Dixielandjazz] Hot Five & Seven's trancriptions

Lubitel11 lubitel11 at ozu.es
Sun Sep 25 15:28:28 PDT 2011

	Hi,

I would like to post a question to all the good connoiseurs here:

I'm looking for -more or less- complete transcriptions of Louis'
recordings, mainly, but not only, Hot 5 & Hot 7's tracks, early 20's and
30's. I think that at least in the USA there is still some kind of trouble
with the copyrights, 'cause I know very few, if any, complete printed
transcriptions.

The more comprehensive book for that matter is probably Robert Ecklund's
"Great Trumpet Solos of Louis Armstrong", but it's far to be complete (no
"Weather Bird", or "Savoyagers' Stomp", or Symphonic Raps", and nor any
tune head, just solos, for the issue with the copyrights). Also, I've get
some transcriptions of cornet and other instrumentos from Gene H.
Anderson's "Original Hot Five Recordings of Louis Armstrong", but again
incompletes, and not any Hot 7's or Savoy Ballroom's or Louis Orchestra's,
just Hot 5's.

Of course, there are some more excerpts spreaded on more generic books,
like Gunther Schuller's "Early Jazz" and "The Swing Era", or the great
"New Grove Dictionary of Jazz", but they are all just that: excerpts,
virtually not even one complete solo.

I wonder if Edward Brooks's "The Young Louis Armstrong on Records: A
Critical Survey of the Early Recordings, 1923-1928" has some
transcriptions on it. Anyone of you has it?

So, meanwhile, I'm keeping just "ear training" until the happy day I will
see a full transcription (piano and trumpet) of "Weather Bird", or the
complete cornet parts of "Tears" (1923), or his solos in some great blues
sang by Bessie or Bertha Chippie Hill, in example.

Thank you!