[Dixielandjazz] Banjo or guitar

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Fri Sep 30 15:09:13 PDT 2011

We are normally a trio: clarinet or soprano sax; banjo or guitar;
string bass.

We use acoustic banjo in our regular New Orleans-style restaurant gig
because it fits the room, and seems to "cut through" with no
amplification, even if the diners and background noise gets loud. In
this regard, the banjo is unique. All the music is early jazz, in a
strolling format.

We use guitar in other gigs if there is more swing music involved, and
if the job pays enough to bring amplification. The guitar is mellower,
and requires a quality amp. We use a Bose column PAS with bass module.
This works better for society gigs where later pop music is required
as well as early jazz and swing.

Rick Campbell
Milneburg Social Aid and Pleasure Society Jazz Band
Portland, Oregon USA
503-701-7356
ricksax at comcast.net