[Dixielandjazz] Banjo or Guitar?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 29 12:02:21 PDT 2011

> Gluetje1 at aol.com (Ginny) wrote:
>
> I know there are groups, leaders, and list members who use banjo on
> some
> of their arrangements and guitar on others.  Would any of you like
> to  make
> the time to post on guidelines or variables that you use to
> determine which
> to use for a number?
>
> I'm curious on your thoughts.  Haven't tried to formulate my own
> criteria,
> it's just a head thought that one or the other will probably work
> better.

For us, it depends upon the audience, the event, and the songs we are
going to play.

Examples:

For funerals, and/or short marching gigs we use banjo, while for swing
dances we use guitar.

If the songs are "New Orleans"  (Make Me a Pallet on the Floor or ones
like George Lewis played") we use Banjo.

If the audience is a dyed in the wool "trad" audience, we use banjo,
while for young hipsters we use guitar.

Etc., etc., etc.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone