[Dixielandjazz] Trombonists/tricks & artists

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Sep 26 09:42:52 PDT 2011

A video was posted with Larry Collins doing a "strip-down" act with his
trombone on a tv show.
I've been put in similar situations (on tv), and was never, ever comfortable
with it.  You do it 'cause you've been approached, the money's ok, the
exposure is good...whatever, but it feels more like a trick.  Maybe Mr.
Collins was invited back on stage to do a proper song, I don't know.  That
would have helped the situation, but the clip shown wouldn't have left
anyone except a fellow musician any the wiser that he could really play that
horn!

That sort of thing is very different from playing before an audience, and
due to the frenzy, say, at the end of the evening one might be inspired to
pull off a little something special as a treat.  That is entertainment, and
is not a naughty word.  If mixed with good music, a bit of show can only
help a band.

Trombonists tend to be the ones that get into these things.  We're usually a
jolly crowd!  :>

Jim