[Dixielandjazz] Kid Ory drummer (was Sweet Georgia Brown)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 22 15:12:39 PDT 2011

> I saw Kid Ory in Birmingham (England) in the 1950's, and although I can't remember who the drummer was, it certainly wasn't Baby Dodds. If it had been I would have remembered it, because Dodds was my idol at the time.

Dear Bob and Pat,
Kid Ory used Kansa Fields on a trip to Europe in December 1956.
Along with Alvin Alcorn (t) Phil Gomez (cl) Cedric Haywood (p) Julian Davidson (g) and  Wellman Braud (sb).

In September-November 1959, for a European tour, Ory used Henry "Red" Allen (t) Bob McCracken (cl) Cedric Haywood (p) Squire Gersh (sb)  and Alton Redd (d/v).
I have a CD copy of an LP of the performance at an afternoon Concert at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester on October 24, 1959.
Very kind regards,
Bill.