[Dixielandjazz] Sweet Georgia Brown

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 22 15:00:04 PDT 2011

Pat said,

> I guessed you might have something to contribute.  I am not sure that I
> would group Dodds and Krupa together but in general I understand your
> point. (I refuse to say that I `see where you are coming from`).
Why not Pat? Gene always claimed the Baby was one of his big influences,
although his playing owes much more to Zutty.

> More years ago than I can clearly remember I saw Kid Ory in Bristol and
> I have always had the idea that Dodds was the drummer. I have not been
> able to check on that and it must be at least  50 years ago. Is that
> likely or possible?.
That would be Alton Redd, assuming it was the '59 tour with Red Allen.
His playing with Ory was pretty awful, just whacking the offbeat and
riding the cymbal throughout. Pity as his work with Ory in the 40s was
first class.

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com