[Dixielandjazz] Sweet Georgia Brown

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 22 10:22:37 PDT 2011

Ken said,
> If you bump into that drummer again, point him at recordings by Big Sid Catlett with the Louis Armstrong All-Stars (Symphony Hall, 1947 for instance) for a masterclass in how to play jazz drums in a way that transcends styles. Once he's absorbed Catlett's approach and especially his time feel, he might come to the conclusion, as I did, that jazz is essentially the one music and that the crucial ingredient which distinguishes styles is largely rhythmic. As long as it swings, I'm happy with any style. With Catlett positioned right on the transition from Swing to Bebop, he is the ideal figure for a drummer to investigate regardless of whether he is a modernist wanting to learn about earlier styles or vice versa. Max Roach, talking about his generation of young drummers, described Catlett as "The Bridge and we all crossed over on him."
>
> I thought the Marsalis et al version of SGB was a fine example of jazz as a single music, and it certainly swung mightily.

I've just watched this video and to me it didn't work. Like most of the
other folk who commented, I found the guitar and violin were superb, but
the drummer was getting in the way.

I'd just been listening to the Harlem Hamfats, so my ears were
accustomed to a swing band. The drum solo seemed to start off promising
but lost its way and sounded decidedly uncomfortable. Not keen on the
sax either.

Regarding Ken's comments on Big Sid, I agree, Sid is essential
listening, but I don't see Sid as anything other than a swing drummer.
The concert recording with Bird and Diz where he follows Max Roach
really highlights the difference. I would always point a would be
traditional Jazz drummer towards Baby Dodds, Zutty, Ray Bauduc and Tony
Sbarbaro, then Wettling Tough and Krupa.

I don't see jazz as a single music and I didn't think that the Marsalis
SGB swung mightily. I was left longing for Big Sid or Jo Jones, who
would have caused it to do just that.

John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ