[Dixielandjazz] Sweet Georgia Brown

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 22 08:24:52 PDT 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 10:12 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

>  andy.ling at quantel.com wrote about Sweet Georgia Brown (Marsalis and
> Clifford Brown versions?)
>
> I'm not sure it was ever said that the SGB clip was "OKOM". I enjoyed
> it all, but I knew some on this list wouldn't.
>
> It's just a taste thing. Maybe it's what you're used to listening to.
> I'm pretty much happy if I can hear a melody. Others can handle
> more obscure stuff.

Dear Andy:

Spot on. Neither you nor I ever said that these versions were OKOM. In
fact we both included the caveat when posting that there would be
folks on the DJML who would not like these versions. On the other
hand, I thought they swung mightily.

Maybe we should add Thelonious Monk's version of SGB called Bright
Mississippi? I also think this swings mightily and also gives people
like me a harmonic lesson.<grin>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMZWDRdnf8&feature=related

BGW, the musician list on this clip is wrong. This is the quartet. The
big bands were on other songs.

And if you are interested in the way song interpretations evolve, see
the below FUNKY versions of Bright Mississippi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-npYGLxnzzk&feature=related  (Allen
Toussaint)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHE5Fx2P46I  (The Whippoorwills)

Taken as a whole OKOM SGB to Marsalis or Clifford Brown SGB to Monk's
Bright Mississippi to Toussaints or The Whippoorwills Bright
Mississippi gives musos like me inspiration as to where one can go
with an old chestnut. Rhythmically and harmonically.

Hint: If you have a young audience (20 to 40) in front of you play SGB
with the rhythm of the Toussaint Version. They will love it, get up
and dance like nobody's watching.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband