[Dixielandjazz] Tony Bennett, swinging at the Met.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 20 07:55:10 PDT 2011

Swinging and Growling to an Optimistic Beat

NY TIMES - By STEPHEN HOLDEN - Sept 19, 2011

It says everything about Tony Bennett that his Metropolitan Opera
concert on Sunday evening was an intimate, no-frills affair: a great
popular singer and his quartet casually doing what they do better than
anybody else.

There was no symphony orchestra or last-minute gospel chorus pumping
grandiosity into an evening that was partly a belated celebration of
Mr. Bennett’s 85th birthday (Aug. 3). That he and his group are
supreme exponents of the American songbook was a given. Most of the
two dozen or so songs in a 90-minute set received standing ovations.

The qualities that define Mr. Bennett — simplicity, humility and a
rock-bottom sense of swing, reminiscent of Count Basie’s — conjure an
optimistic American spirit that has little to do with the
hypercompetitive excesses of our new gilded age and its young American
idols. Mr. Bennett doesn’t compete; he has no need to. As his special
guests — Aretha Franklin (“How Do You Keep the Music Playing?”),
Alejandro Sanz (“Yesterday I Heard the Rain”) and Elton John (“If I
Ruled the World”) — arrived onstage to join voices with him, they
harmonized with the relaxed camaraderie and mutual respect of
colleagues sharing songs.

You had the sense of Mr. Bennett, poised, calm and good-humored, as a
lighthouse in the middle of a churning musical sea, illuminating the
way for all approaching ships.

Vocally there were two Tony Bennetts: a stealthy, conversational
swinger who infused “I Got Rhythm,” and “Sing You Sinners” with a
springing pulse, and the robust, semioperatic tenor on numerous
ballads whose high notes, usually hit hard, were remarkably intact.

As an interpreter, Mr. Bennett cuts to the chase, building songs from
quiet reflections to grand finales, sharply accenting key words like
“heart” and “love.” On “For Once in My Life” he sang the phrase
“someone who needs me” with the passion of a man savoring a last,
desperate chance at love that has ended triumphantly. His verbal
accents are a kind of aggressive shorthand conveying exactly what he
wants to say; there are no double meanings. “Love” is love, and
“heart” is heart.

A typical number had a beginning, a middle and a climactic end that
was usually, but not always, an assertion of optimism. “The Way You
Look Tonight”concluded with a repeated exclamation, “tonight, tonight,
tonight” that both addressed the occasion and expressed a belief in
relishing the moment. The revenge fantasy “I Wanna Be Around” was
appended with a ferociously growled “yeah.” But even that burst of
hostility was more euphoric than angry.

Mr. Bennett maintained a fluid, easygoing relationship with the group:
his musical director and pianist, Lee Musiker; the guitarist Gray
Sargent; the drummer Harold Jones; and the bassist Marshall Wood. The
concert’s missing orchestral dimension was supplied by Mr. Musiker’s
florid, crashing piano solos (on “Maybe This Time” and “How Do You
Keep the Music Playing?”) that had the heft and romantic sweep of
miniature Rachmaninoff piano concertos. In Mr. Bennett’s quieter duets
with Mr. Sargent (especially “The Shadow of Your Smile”), the guitar
gently cuddled up to his voice.

Among the three duets the happiest surprise was Ms. Franklin’s
contribution to “How Do You Keep the Music Playing?,” in which her
shivering airborne melismas underlined the lyrics’ fearful
vulnerability. In the song’s second statement, after Mr. Musiker’s
solo, their voices entwined in a grand upward spiral.

That duet was stronger and more coherent than it is on Mr. Bennett’s
mostly wonderful new album, “Duets II” (RPM/Columbia), to be released
on Tuesday. On the album’s 17 songs, Mr. Bennett’s singing partners
run the gamut from semiclassical (Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli) to
country (Willie Nelson, Carrie Underwood).

To varying degrees all the duets are conversations, the more
spontaneous and freewheeling, the better. On “Body and Soul” the voice
of Amy Winehouse, who suggests a sensual combination of Dinah
Washington and late-’50s Billie Holiday, crackles with vitality,
enthusiasm and hard experience. “The Lady Is a Tramp,” with Lady Gaga,
is a playful give-and-take of improvised remarks, in which she
displays her considerable chops as a hard-edged pop-jazz singer.

“Blue Velvet,” with K. D. Lang, becomes the singers’ mutual
reminiscence of a dream girl or a beloved matriarch (it could be
both), in which they croon, “And we still can see blue velvet in our
dreams.” On “Speak Low,” another high point, Norah Jones, sounding
sophisticated and very grown-up, supplies a moist heat, while Mr.
Bennett’s hammering of the word “thief” in the phrase “time is a
thief” distills the song’s emotional urgency.

Because the singers were in the studio with Mr. Bennett, “Duets II”
conveys the freshness of spontaneous interaction. It’s really alive.
Sitting side by side, the singers engage in the kind of friendly
intergenerational dialogue that is good for music.