[Dixielandjazz] "Sweet Clifford" a/k/a "Sweet Georgia Brown"

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 20 08:14:03 PDT 2011

Here's a different take on "Sweet Georgia Brown", Circa 1955.

Those with modern ears will love it though many on the list might not.
If you listen, note Clifford Brown's fleeting homage to Alphonse
Picou's  "High Society,"  at the beginning of his solo.

Also, drummers may wax eloquently about Max Roach who plays a set of
exquisitely  "tuned" drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxEHYwgSlX8

And if you liked the above, here a "live" version from The Basin
Street in NYC a year later, this time with Sonny Rollins on  Tenor and
Willie Jones on drums that night because Max Roach was ill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AAnjxbQVIQ&feature=related

When Clifford Brown burst on the scene, just about very jazz musician
in NYC was stunned by his virtuosity and sense of swing. I remember
Pee Wee Erwin Charlie Traeger and I discussing him one night at
Julius's Tavern around the corner from Nick's in Greenwich Village,
one night in the mid 1950s. They kept saying "listen to how he makes
the changes, wow."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband