[Dixielandjazz] Sweet Georgia Brown - Marsalis Quintet

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 19 12:05:20 PDT 2011

> andy.ling at quantel.com
>
> Ron L'Herault wrote on 19/09/2011 14:57:43:
>
>> It definitely swings in the beginning.  Marsalis and his group
>> phrase in
>> rather non-swinging way though.  The swing feeling gets too blurred.
>>

> To some extent I'd agree. Mark O'Connor and Frank Vignola certainly
> start it off swinging. I think the rhythm section pick up on this
> and keep it going, but Marsalis particularly plays some unusual
> rhythms on top of this.
>
> I like the overall effect, but it wont appeal to all on the list.
>
> After all there's not Tuba and Banjo :^)

Love it Andy. Thanks for posting. Some folks o the list may not like
the modern chord changes and solo lines by O'Conner, Marsalis and
Blanding either.

BUT, note that it got almost 25,000 views so far. Does that mean there
is some "new" audience interest in "modern OKOM"? <grin>

I hope so.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband