[Dixielandjazz] Big Maceo, was Marsalis and Clapton

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sat Sep 17 19:22:35 PDT 2011

Hello Bill

You wrote (in part):

 >I also notice that they played Big Maceo Merriweather's "Kid Man Blues".
Now that's one I'd like to hear.
I may have to buy the CD/DVD to go with my other Marsalis CD, "Mr Jelly
Lord".
*>)
I know that you know <grin> who Big Maceo was, but I wonder how many in
the concert audience did?
Or indeed, 99% of those who will buy the new Marsalis and Clapton release.
I had the Big Maceo Victor 78 in my collection from the 40s.<

Yes, indeed - I'm playing "Kid man blues" now and wondering how Marsalis
and Clapton handle it. Clapton would have his work cut-out to match
Tampa Red!

Previously, Beth and Louis raised the matter of Chicago Blues. Could
Marsalis and Clapton have a new take on this genre?

All the best,
Anton