[Dixielandjazz] Butterbeans and Susie This Week on Riverwalk Jazz

Donald Mopsick dmopsick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 13:16:20 PDT 2011

DJML Bretheren and Sisteren:

You don't want to miss this week's Riverwalk Jazz show available for
you to stream until next Thursday morning. It's a re-creation of the
classic routines by the famed vaudeville husband-and-wife team of
Buterbeans and Susie. Their songs, like "Elevator Momma," "I Want a
Hot Dog For My Roll," etc. are, like some of the Bessie Smith
classics, full of so many sexually-oriented double-entendre jokes that
one wonders how they got by the censors back in the 1920s.

Susie sings to Butterbeans after she says, "Hey mister, I see you got
a hot dog stand."

I want a hot dog for my roll
I want it hot I don't want it cold.
Give me a big one, that's what I say,
I want it so it 'twill fit my bread
I want a hot dog for my roll,
I want it young I don't want it old
I sho' will be disgusted
If this dog ain't full o' mustid
Don't want no excuse, it must have lots o' juice
I want a hot dog for my roll.

Contrast this approach to the explicit, f-bomb humor of today, some of
which is nonetheless very funny indeed. Just sayin.'

The parts of Butterbeans and Susie are played by Vernel Bagneris and
Topsy Chapman.

Stream it here now: http://riverwalkjazz.org. Feel free to leave
comments on our facebook page here:

http://www.facebook.com/riverwalkjazz