[Dixielandjazz] To Those Who Dislike Jazz Banjo

Kit W. Johnson kit at bscjb.com
Fri Sep 16 12:16:04 PDT 2011

Chiming in on the banjo thread...

There are definitely some good young players out there, whether your choice
is plectrum, tenor, five-string... Our regular banjo man in Portland is John
McKinley, a plectrum player. He has taught his son Craig and grandson
Jonathan Fessler the instrument and they have become fine musicians, with
great chops and a solid understanding of harmony.

John himself is still going strong. Here's a link to short bio on John and
another link to a recent solo performance on "Alexander's" that he did in
Olympia earlier this year with grandson Jonathan. Jonathan, btw, is about to
start college. Hopefully we can keep him active on the banjo so he can
support his engineering habit later on.

http://www.bscjb.com/about_the_band/mckinley_john.shtml
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StGqlSTQzl8

Cheers,