[Dixielandjazz] To Those Who Dislike Jazz Banjo

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 16 11:58:16 PDT 2011

Hi Marek,
Thanks for the cheers.  But there is no basis for cheering up as long  as
we can name two young players per nation.  Rather it just bears witness  to
my plea.

OK, folks, breath a sigh of relief.  Getting back down off the  podium.

Ginny

In a message dated 9/16/2011 1:46:43 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
marekboym at gmail.com writes:

>  Those on the list who wish jazz banjo would just disappear can  probably
> reincarnate quickly without fear of being exposed to any jazz  banjo in
their
> next life.

> Bottom  line: as jazz banjo is being lost, it is not being  replaced.

I don't know, Ginny.  New Orleans Function and  Elazar's Dr. Jazz
feature a very good, swinging and entusiastic young banjo  player.  He
probably can play the guitar - I have never asked, but  shall do so
when I next see him.  The banjo player of Isradixie is  older, but he
led a rock group, and switched from the electric guitar to  banjo.  He
swings like hell on both the banjo and the guitar.   He, too, came up
after the peak of traditional jazz.

An I do not  believe that banjo is taught in schools (hardly any
musical education  there).

Cheers (and cheer  up)