[Dixielandjazz] To Those Who Dislike Jazz Banjo

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 11:46:42 PDT 2011

> Those on the list who wish jazz banjo would just disappear can probably
> reincarnate quickly without fear of being exposed to any jazz banjo in  their
> next life.

> Bottom line: as jazz banjo is being lost, it is not being  replaced.

I don't know, Ginny.  New Orleans Function and Elazar's Dr. Jazz
feature a very good, swinging and entusiastic young banjo player.  He
probably can play the guitar - I have never asked, but shall do so
when I next see him.  The banjo player of Isradixie is older, but he
led a rock group, and switched from the electric guitar to banjo.  He
swings like hell on both the banjo and the guitar.  He, too, came up
after the peak of traditional jazz.

An I do not believe that banjo is taught in schools (hardly any
musical education there).

Cheers (and cheer up)