[Dixielandjazz] To Those Who Dislike Jazz Banjo

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 16 08:49:50 PDT 2011

Hi Dave,

I would agree.  I did get both some group and personal time with Don
Vappie at the first NOLA Jazz Camp.  Found him both able and willing to  pass on
what he knows to whatever level was one's ability to absorb.   I also went
to see him in a lounge setting with his trio.  They did an  outstanding show
without worrying a minute about what genre they were producing,  rather
covered the proverbial waterfront.

Bela, I have not met personally, nor would I make any kind of student for
him. :?)  Not sure what his activities are in passing it on.

Cynthia Sayer is definitely involved in trying to pass on jazz banjo to
students.  There are several professionals who are taking advantage of the
web to do online banjo lessons.  There is a great youth band, a  twenty plus
year effort with outcomes such as Tyler Jackson and Nathan  Hanna and others.
 That's the Houston All-Stars under the auspices of Buddy  Griffin.

But I'm sticking with my original argument that this won't be enough.   We
still need others who care to put their "consciousness" behind their
caring.  Maybe they have a late-in-life "calling" as well.
Ginny

In a message dated 9/16/2011 1:06:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time,