[Dixielandjazz] To Those Who Dislike Jazz Banjo

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 15 20:10:23 PDT 2011

Those on the list who wish jazz banjo would just disappear can probably
reincarnate quickly without fear of being exposed to any jazz banjo in  their
next life.  It's never been taught in schools, never been taught to  the
young to any significant degree. In fact, no instructional materials  for four
string banjo have ever existed for the young.  Nor can  one can declare it
as an instrument for college studies as they could any of the  other jazz
instruments.

Four string and five string banjo are as different from each other in terms
 of proficiency demands as, for example, bassoon is from trumpet.  (And
yes, I've played a fair bit of bassoon in my time and taken the  requisite
college brass performance course.)

Jazz banjo only ever happened in the first place because when it's  sound
was popular, violinists and guitarists who needed work adapted and  picked up
banjos for strumming and they were all adults.  Those who  found their love
for the banjo in the '50's or '60's were late teens  or young adults who
had to scrounge for mentors.

Bottom line: as jazz banjo is being lost, it is not being  replaced.

As for me, I consider this truly sad as I both love  well-played jazz banjo
and hold in great esteem the role the  banjo played in American History.
So if 1, or 2, or a few, are enough  to make a difference and negate my
opening prediction -- that's  where my effort is committed while I have time left
on the planet.

Ginny