[Dixielandjazz] Alan Barnes

Allan Brown allanbrown at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Sep 13 14:14:46 PDT 2011

I noticed today, whilst reading the Observer newspaper, that our fellow listmate, Ken Mathieson, got a mention. Here's what it said:

"ALAN BARNES - The Glasgow Suite

Saxophonist and composer Benny Carter, who lived to the age of 95, was a mere 80 when commissioned to write this suite for the 1987 Glasgow Jazz Festival. Unearthed by Scottish drummer Ken Mathieson and performed here by his Classic Jazz Orchestra, with Barnes playing the composer's own part, it turns out to be typical Carter - gracefully deft and packed with delightful ideas. Few contemporary musicians can suggest another player's style as effectively and discreetly as Alan Barnes, while Mathieson's editing of the score is perfectly seamless."

Ken, I'm sure you've probably already seen it and were too modest to mention it, but if you'd like me to send you the clipping I'm more than happy to.

All the best,

Allan