[Dixielandjazz] Jazz & Wineries

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 12 06:55:59 PDT 2011

> Dixiejazzdata <dixiejazzdata at aol.com>
>

> Some of us also Play Wineries often but for Very Good Money and Good
> Food and Usually get a Case of Good Wine as a tip. I would never
> list the names of them because some bands would just call them and
> undercut us in price & quality just to get a gig.

Indeed, Bart.  Here in  the Pennsylvania, USA, there are 6 wineries in
the Philadelphia Metro area that sponsor numerous musical programs
throughout the summer months. Usually on Friday nights, with dinner
wine etc., for a ticket fee averaging $20.

They used to be well paid gigs for musicians but have since
degenerated into low payers because so many musicians are willing to
gig on the cheap. We only play at one now, when in past we would do
several. I can even remember a decade ago when gigging as a sideman
for Doug Finke's Independence Hall Jazz Band, he got paid well enough
to bring Jon Erik Kellso down to Philly to make such a gig. No more.

Playing on the cheap seems to be a rapidly growing disease among
musicians of all genres, not just jazz musicians.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband