[Dixielandjazz] Showmen in Dixieland Jazz

John and Sidnee Fortier jsfortier at chartermi.net
Mon Sep 12 05:23:30 PDT 2011

The bands most invited to play at fests and on cruise ships include the following, High Sierra, Cornet Chop Suey, Titan Hot Seven, Wally's Warehouse Waifs, St. Louis Rivermen (and Red's other groups), and Bob Schulz's San Francisco Jazz Band.  Each has a "showman" leader, Peter Meijers, Brian Casserly, Jeff Barnhart, Dave Tatrow, Red Lehr, Bob Schulz.  Why do you suppose they keep getting invited?  Yes, they are great players, but without the showmanship, their performances would lack something that is important to the (mostly older) fans that patronize those events.  We like bands who seem to be enjoying themselves and who do not take themselves ( or anybody else) too seriously.  OKOM is happy music!  There's nothing like a good laugh or a well-executed display to make us happy!  We buy the band's CDs too, where the repartee and showmanship is less obvious...  Just the opinion of a long time lurker.