[Dixielandjazz] keeping "live" alive

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 11 09:52:35 PDT 2011

>>>Anyway, on this recording each of the 3 man front line plays one note of the
melody.  Sounds easy?  It is certainly not, as the melody line has 4 notes
(the 3 pickup notes & the downbeat), so in a three man front line, the note
you have to play keeps changing!  Do that at a quick tempo, and it is very,
very difficult to pull off.  Even on the recording, they had a few hairy
moments where one note or the other is played with a bit of hesitation.  If
they did that one live, and I don't doubt that they did, there must have
been some hilarious moments, 'cause accidents would have to have happened!<<<

Reminds me of a bit in the short-lived 1977 revival of "Laugh In".  A guy (who I have no idea) sings "Take Me Out To The Ballgame", leaving the first note out entirely.  Meaning, he sang "Take" on the "me" beat and note, carrying on one beat and note late for the entirety of the song.  Which means at the end he could only merely say "game!" because the song ended on the word "ball"  It's so hard to describe.  I was only 12 years old, but I was astute enough to realise I was witnessing something something so unique as almost to be monstrous.