[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Showmanship

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Fri Sep 9 15:53:33 PDT 2011

It is alway interesting to me that when our trio plays tight intricate
tunes like High Society or King Porter Stomp, we get some appreciative
clapping, but when we cover Louis's version of Mahogany Hall Stomp,
with the 10 bars of High C held out on the last solo chorus, we get
wild applause. For one long note on soprano sax. Duh?

And often crowds are equally captivated about my primitive vocals on
Eh La Bas, Oh Didn't He Ramble, and Frankie and Johnnie.

Early jazz is earthy, emotional music. So sometimes the simplest
things touch people, not the technical playing.

We can learn from this OKOM phenomenon, like it or not.

Rick Campbell
Milneburg Social Aid and Pleasure Society Jazz Band
Portland, Oregon USA
503-701-7356
ricksax at comcast.net