[Dixielandjazz] showmanship

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Fri Sep 9 15:14:11 PDT 2011

If you'd listened to the prewar Jimmy Lunceford band or many of the mainstream records of the 40s you'd have heard
him playing much better. He had to coarsen his style to play with Louis, which is why nobody ever matched Teagarden in that job.
This is from my column in the latest edition of 'Jazz Journal'.

  When Trummy Young was in the Jimmy Lunceford band and for some years after that, he didn’t pay his income tax and the IRS pursued him relentlessly.
To avoid them in 1947 he left to live in Hawaii. He became homesick and in any case, there was talk of Hawaii becoming part of the US, which would have
enabled the IRS to get at him. In 1952 Joe Glaser offered to settle all his tax bills if he joined Louis Armstrong’s All Stars and stayed until he’d paid Glaser back.
By the time Trummy made the trip to Europe in 1956, as he told me at the time, he wasn’t fit to travel because of a bad stomach ulcer. However, he had no option.
He’d been worn out and wanting to get away from the All Stars for many years before. By the early ‘60s, he’d repaid all his debts. But Glaser declined to find a
replacement for him. Trummy took what he saw as the only way out. When the All Stars arrived at New York airport on January 1, 1964, Trummy
announced ‘I’ve got a ticket on the next flight to Hawaii,’ and he returned to the island without giving any further notice.

Steve Voce