[Dixielandjazz] showmanship

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Sep 9 10:07:32 PDT 2011

Marek mentioned preferring music minus the showmanship.  I still insist
there can be a good balance, and that showmanship can add to a performance
if there is substantially good quality music to go with it.  If the music
isn't up to it, then you have a "showy bad band"!

Marek also admitted that not everyone in an audience is able to understand
the good music, and can be drawn in by the showmanship.  I remember trying
an experiment back in the late 1960's when I was playing midnite to 4 am
seven nites a week.  If you play THAT much you tend to come up with
experiments in your spare time!!

I played a solo on a blues...well constructed, artistically as well as I
could do at the time, with the slow build to a climatic ending, etc, and
etc.  I used no body movements, or "put myself physically" into the solo.
No applause, no particular appreciation.  Later in the nite, I did another
blues solo, also well constructed, etc., but with the visual side of the
horn applied, if you know what I mean.  Tremendous applause & general
appreciate!

The general public first "sees" & then hears.

I am not an advocate of joke telling and long talks between songs, which
some people might concur to be showmanship.  I am referring more to at least
looking like you're "into" your music, and enjoying yourself, and maybe the
occassional Teddy Buckner style trick (mentioned in an earlier post) tossed
in.

Jim