[Dixielandjazz] Laughing & music

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Sep 9 07:17:58 PDT 2011

>In this, a cornet player is interrupted by a woman laughing and soon the
cornet player stops and joins in the laughter. The record finishes with both
performers in paroxysms of laughter.

To take this subject back into a previous thread about showmanship.

The quote above reminded me of Los Angeles trumpeter Teddy Buckner who
during a nite would start to count off a tune, and get the giggles.  He'd
try over & over to start the tune, but would get heavier & heavier into the
laughter until the whole band was laughing & naturally the audience.

Yep!  A trick...the nasty word showmanship!  I saw him do it every time I
saw him...way back in the 1950's, and if a nite went by and he didn't do it,
I was disappointed!  It was good, it was light-hearted, got the audience
involved, and he darn well played good music!

I'll never understand why everyone insists on talking about "showmanship vs.
artistry" when both good music & showmanship can work quite well together.
It doesn't have to be one or the other!

Jim