[Dixielandjazz] Kenny G

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Wed Sep 7 09:00:31 PDT 2011

Steve Barbone wrote:
"Funny thing is that lots of jazz musicians
made the conscious  decision, in one form or
another, to get paid well for music rather than.. "
-----------------------------------
Don't forget Satchmo.
It was Billy Taylor who said to me "I wonder what would have
happened in music if Louis Armstrong continued to play jazz?"
Billy also defined for me, the difference between an artist
(spelled with a capitol A and perhaps an "e" at the end)
and an entertainer.
Slight aside: I am not insinuating that an entertainer cannot be
an artist in his or her own way. The discussion is about attitude only.
a) Entertainers aim to please the public.
b) Artists aim to please themselves.
Works for me!
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com