[Dixielandjazz] Kenny G

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 7 08:11:22 PDT 2011

> Paul Kurtz Jr  wrote:
>
> I have to say that I heard Kenny G in a concert towards the end cut
> loose some good alto work with decent jazz. He's made a conscious
> decision to get paid. I don't know what kind of music he likes best,
> but he can play more jazz-oriented stuff when he wants to.

Funny thing is that lots of jazz musicians made the conscious
decision, in one form or another,  to get paid well for music rather
than to remain a starving artist.

One that readily comes to mind is Louis Prima, an excellent New
Orleans Jazz Trumpeter,  who discovered in NYC when he was playing
Dixieland with Pee Wee Russell et al., that he could get more gigs and
more money as a showman. For a kick, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DyG8sgzVxM

Another was the Saxophone player most often credited with starting the
smooth jazz craze, Grover Washington, Jr.,an excellent jazz musician
who discovered a huge audience demand for what we now call smooth
jazz, elevator music etc. While also discovering that it paid
extremely well.

Kenny G put out a Christmas album a few years ago that is wonderful.
Plus he routinely pleases millions of people worldwide with his music.
While making a good living. IMO, not a bad thing.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband