[Dixielandjazz] Lena Prima interviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Sep 1 23:18:15 PDT 2011

The Lena Tower of Prima
by Steve Bornfeld
Las Vegas Review-Journal, August 26, 2011
Our city is about to fade into her rearview mirror.
Losing a Prima is no small setback here, especially to those whose old-Vegas memories
still shine as bright and vibrant as the neon that once lit up the Sands and the
Sahara, where another Prima was the prince of the city.
"I'm getting ready to move back to New Orleans in November, so this is the last chance
for people to see the show I've been doing," says longtime Vegas stalwart Lena Prima,
whose dad, Louis, famously made this town his jazzy plaything back in its heyday,
a style the Bayou-bound performer will take back to the city that birthed, nurtured
and eternally embraces jazz.
"There's more opportunities for my style of music," she says. "There are French Quarter
fests and jazz fests and Mardi Gras, so much stuff going on."
Blowing a musical kiss to Las Vegas, Prima will perform "A Concert for the Community"
on Saturday at the Winchester Cultural Center. Backed by her six-piece band, Prima,
47, will belt out original songs from her CD, "Since the Storm," that was dedicated
to Hurricane Katrina survivors -- including "Silly in the Middle," nominated for
best jazz song of 2010 at the Hollywood Music in Media Awards -- plus a tribute to
the rollicking repertoire of her father, who died in 1978 when his daughter was 15.
Here, Prima fields questions before pulling out of the Vegas music scene.
Q: Are there less opportunities here to perform the jazz you love?
A: There's only a few of us doing the vintage-style stuff, and there really isn't
a place to do it. The bookings here for live music are not as much as it used to
be. That's why I wanted to do this concert before I go. It's terrible the way arts
programs are getting cut. People still want to go out and see shows. It's sad, growing
up here and seeing the change.
Q: Is the diminishing of jazz a loss to Vegas?