[Dixielandjazz] THE 'featured song'????

Eric Holroyd eholroyd at optusnet.com.au
Sun Oct 30 04:06:41 PDT 2011

Hello Pat:

                To answer your questions on Netiquette.

If I'm replying to a question in a friend's email I'll put a greater than
sign ahead of it, then type my answer on the next line.

As in:

>I was under the impression that was standard practice. Is this not so?

That's the way I was taught to use email, and I have to say that it's much
easier to recognise and to do than your method, with the sample below coming
from your own email to me:

<<you'll diminish the ever-growing number of 'greater than' signs (ie

If you'll forgive me saying so, that smacks of overkill.

But who am I, apart from a lover of the great English language and its
grammar rules.

My major objection is to the way that the majority of email users nowadays
incorporate the whole of someone's email message into their own message,
then add their 'Me too!' at the head of it.

I see that as laziness, lack of Netiquette knowledge and or how to delete
unwanted text, and downright discourtesy.

Several of the DJML's Usual Suspects do that on a daily basis, and I have
yet to understand the motivation for Andy Ling to incorporate his company's
disclaimer at the foot of each of his DJML messages. Unless he just wants to
show the rest of us that he's doing his postings in company time on a
company computer using the company's Internet Provider.

As a general observation though, and not confining it to DJML users, it
seems very obvious to me that a very large number of people have either lost
the art of letter writing, or else they've lost it somewhere along the way
after leaving school.

I see many emails with no paragraphs at all, just long strings of hard to
read sentences, with no thought of good communication to another person.

And I haven't even started on text messaging yet...

How do DJMLers react to text messages like: CU4T at 3. OK?

Kind regards

Eric Holroyd