[Dixielandjazz] THE 'featured song'????

Eric Holroyd eholroyd at optusnet.com.au
Sun Oct 30 01:51:18 PDT 2011

>Hard Hearted Hannah was the featured song in Pete Kelly’s Blues.

Not quite, mon ami.

Sure, Ella did a great job on the song you mentioned, but Peggy Lee did
heart-rending versions of Somebody Loves Me and I Can Sing A Rainbow in the
mental institution scenes in which she featured.

But there were many other 'featured songs', which you'll see in the track
listings from Ms Lee's album below.

'Songs from Pete Kelly's Blues is a 1955 soundtrack album by Peggy Lee
featuring tracks by her and Ella Fitzgerald, as well as several jazz
instrumentals.'

Jack Webb played the title role in his usual wooden acting style with arms
held rigidly to his sides.

Opening: Narration by Jack Webb – 1:21
"Smiles" (J. Will Callahan, Lee Roberts) – 2:14
"(What Can I Say) After I Say I'm Sorry?" (Walter Donaldson, Abe Lyman) –
3:44
"Breezin' Along With the Breeze" (Haven Gillespie, Seymour Simons, Richard
Whiting) – 2:45
"Oh! Didn't He Ramble" – 2:49
"I'm Gonna Meet My Sweetie Now" (Benny Davis, Jesse Greer) – 2:34
"Somebody Loves Me" (George Gershwin, Buddy DeSylva, Ballard MacDonald) –
3:39
"Sugar" (Maceo Pinkard, Sidney D. Mitchell, Edna Alexander) – 3:07
"Bye Bye Blackbird" (Mort Dixon, Ray Henderson) – 2:50
"He Needs Me" (Arthur Hamilton)
"I Never Knew" (Gus Kahn, Ted Fiorito)
"Sing a Rainbow" (Hamilton)
"I Never Knew" – 2:58
"Hard Hearted Hannah" (Milton Ager, Chas Bates, Bob Bigelow, Jack Yellen –
3:08
"Pete Kelly's Blues" (Ray Heindorf, Sammy Cahn) – 3:41

If you, or anyone else, wants to email me about this at least have the
common courtesy to delete those parts of my own message which are not
relevant to yours.

That way, you'll diminish the ever-growing number of 'greater than' signs
(ie >>>>>>>) which proliferate in every edition of DJML.

What's more, by doing so you'll be actively using Netiquette, as requested
by Robert Ringwald.

Eric Holroyd
Sydney, Australia