[Dixielandjazz] All the Girls Go Crazy

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 28 10:00:45 PDT 2011

Who among the old timers was an accurate source and not a storyteller,
or an old guy with a fading memory? Or a musician who took a tune like
the old cow (if it really existed) and copyrighted it under the name
Muskrat Ramble? If Barker did not remember it, perhaps it is a figment
of some else's imagination, or perhaps because by the time Barker
became aware of the tune, it was called Muskrat Ramble..

Like you, I agree that we have to take what any old timer says about
events occurring in the past with a grain of salt. Whether it was
Barker, Bechet, Ory, Armstrong, Morton, Johnson, or whomever.

I am just pointing out that there was published anecdotal evidence
about "all the whores" in existence and as far as I'm concerned,
Hardie has every right to rely on that as you have every right not to
rely on it.

As we both know, there is a lot of mis-information out there. Even the
Red Hot jazz site in its bio of Barker says: "Danny was often found
cutting school and following many bands around town witnessing some of
the finest New Orleans had to offer including bands led by Buddy
Bolden . . ."

That, of course, would have been hard to do for a guy born in 1909. As
would remembering "The Old Cow Died" because Ory claimed to have
written Muskrat Ramble in 1921 when Barker was 12. From that moment on
IMO, the song would have only been known as Muskrat.

Cheers,
Steve