[Dixielandjazz] All the Girls Go Crazy

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 28 08:46:09 PDT 2011

On Oct 28, 2011, at 6:24 AM, tyleman wrote:

> It's a bit frustrating that Hardie doesn't quote a source for his
> assertion. In another djml post, he quotes Danny Barker as the source
> - even though Barker never heard the Bolden band, but Bunk, Ory and
> Big Eye did, and none of them ever acknowledged the association to
> Bolden.
>
> It's also interesting that other than Hardie, there is no published
> anecdotal evidence regarding the connection to Bolden.
>
> It would be nice if Hardie would reveal his source material - whether
> it is Hogan Jazz Archive interviews or what. I generally believe that
> is the accepted modus operadi with scholarly research.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

I'm hip Chris:

Perhaps Dan got his source info from Danny Barker's book: "Buddy
Bolden and the Last Days of Storyville" (page 20 & 21) See below quote
which mentions "Pretty Pretty Mama" and "All The Whores":

"Around eleven o'clock the crowd would get heated up and Buddy would
play such nice love songs - like":

"If You Don't Like My Potatoes, Why Do You Dig So Deep.
Your Mammy Don't Wear No Drawers, She Wears Six Bit Overalls.
Stick it Where You Stuck it Last Night.
Let me Be Your Li'l Dog Till Your Big Dog Comes.
Don's Send Me No Roses 'Cause Shoes Is What I Need
Pretty Pretty Mama, Open Your Legs One More Time
All The Whores Like The Way I Ride
Melpomene Street Blues
The Bucket's Got A Hole In It
Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor."

Folks can read some of this book (well worth it)  at: (Or better  yet
folks on the List should BUY this book to understand what jazz was
like at the very beginning)

http://books.google.com/books?id=N0A5rXtMQBgC&pg=PR7&lpg=PR7&dq=Danny+Barker+on+Buddy+Bolden&source=bl&ots=eiQip_Mdny&sig=KB4tk4zu4bj9QTwBUMj1-inVSuk&hl=en&ei=VMiqTpKuEeHr0gGT5bCwDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&sqi=2&ved=0CFAQ6AEwBw#v
=onepage&q&f=false

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband