[Dixielandjazz] Where are the Young People?

Ivor Jones banjones at sapo.pt
Sun Oct 23 10:12:03 PDT 2011

I live and play in Portugal

Just a few lines from my autobiography. We called ourselves 'The New Orleans
Jazzband' .....Sorry 8>),     That's not the title of the book.

"We were invited to play in the Andalusian Jazz Festival, just outside
Seville. When we arrived at the festival the venue was like big bar with
seating for about seventy people, we rehearsed a couple of tunes to see what
the acoustics were like and then went out for a meal. When we came back we
could not believe it, the place was packed, they were sitting in all the
available space in front of the band, right up to our feet, and there were
many outside standing, looking at us through the open windows. At least 90%
were young people, many from the local university When we walked in the
crowd went very quiet, who were these poor old guys? We started playing and
someone took a solo, it was great, the place went mad, we had some
experienced musicians in the band but nobody had ever had a reception like
that before. It was a major thrill. They didn't want us to leave.
Unfortunately Dougie, our alleged leader, said we had got paid for a ninety
minute gig, and that was that, he wouldn't be budged. I would have played
all night".
 "We played many gigs in Portugal, some in the north, some around Lisbon and
a lot in the Alentejo, the next 'county', where we played virtually all of
the major towns and cities. The very first time we played we were astounded
to find posters all over the town advertising us as coming from New Orleans,
it must have surprised them to see that we were all white, or a close
approximation"

I think that the main reason that we usually get older audiences is that you
never hear classic jazz on the radio or TV, and most 'critics' seem to think
it's smart to follow the trend. Many times we have young guys approaching us
after the gig asking us what kind on music we play. It's new to them.

I think that you will find that Kash would have shared the same experience
in Madrid.

Ivor Jones