[Dixielandjazz] Posted in a Facebook Group

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sat Oct 22 19:39:33 PDT 2011

Marek Boym wrote:

> Any idea what an "orphiclied" is?

Several other good replies to this. As it happens, the "tuba" part to
Jacques Offenbach's Overture to "Orpheus in the Underworld" was originally
written for Ophicleide. I played this with the South Valley Symphony here in
Gilroy, CA, a week ago Saturday, and since the part said "Ophicleide," I
played it on my Ophicleide. Mine is a post-1900 10-key instrument, made by
Gautrot of Paris. They were the last regular maker of Ophicleides, and had
them in their catalog up through 1916. They made mine. There's no serial
number, but there's engraving on the bell about a medal they won at the
Paris Exhibition of 1900, so mine dates from between 1900 and 1916.

Ophicleides come in Bb and C; both read bass clef, concert pitch. The
fingering system is abominable. But it's fun to play occasionally.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA