[Dixielandjazz] Where are the Young People?

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Thu Oct 20 18:19:21 PDT 2011

Now here's a weird one.
I created a cd with all midi sequences of the most
popular piano classical teaching pieces.
The notes and rhythms are as written but I "orchestrated"
the tunes and added effects such as a rhythmic
bass, bongos etc.

A buddy of mine was playing a live concert at an
outdoor event. This was a full symphony orchestra
playing Strauss, Wagner, Mozart and the like. I
asked the conductor if he would play the cd during
the break. He agreed to play it before the concert,
after the concert and during intermission. The
neighborhood was and still is a really low income,
primarily black and Hispanic area.
The conductor called me over during intermission.
He said "Look at all the kids DANCING to Bach."

I then marketed the cd at Borders and other stores
as a children's disk. This was on consignment at seven
different stores. Thanks to the managers for putting the
cd on the children's juke box I sold almost 1,000 copies.
To sample any of the tunes - http://alevy.com/lfopop.htm

Your comments are invited.
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com