[Dixielandjazz] Where are the Young People?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 20 17:52:13 PDT 2011

One of the dangers in taking a look at a video of 1 performance and
thinking that is the norm . . . is that a single performance is
usually not the norm.

My clip of the Riverfront Concert took a lot of heat because there
were only 4 kids dancing, and they were a captive audience brought by
their grandparents.

BUT, what folks don't know is the fact that the venue is at least 4
miles from where any kids live. There are no houses there. It is next
to a now defunct outlet shopping mall. Yet people do drive and bring
their lawn chairs to be there. And some bring their kids and/or
grandkids to hear the music. Wouldn't it be great if we all did that?

We did about 20 park concerts this year, similar to the Riverfront,
but in more accessible parks, many in neighborhoods where the young
folks are. And they come and listen as do the old farts. Where is the
harm in that? Many are captive, especially the ones under 10 years
old. But there again, at that age, they have to be captive, no?

Will the 20 somethings pay to hear OKOM? Sure they will. Checkout your
local swing dances. They pay $15 apiece to dance to our band. The
solution to getting a young audience is very simple. Rule #1 is PLAY
WHERE THE KIDS ARE. Then entertain them.

Want proof? If you live in the Philadelphia area, come to the Iron
Hill Brewery in Media PA on Sat night, November 19 and enjoy
yourselves in the company of YOUNG people listening to Barbone
Street's trio playing American Songbook jazz. Wander through the town
and hear 12 other bands playing jazz in one form or another among more
young people who paid to hear them play. It's a bargain at $10 a
ticket. (you do buy your own food and drink)

Gee, a local town presenting 13 JAZZ bands in bars and restaurants on
a Saturday Night and drawing lots of people, mostly quite a bit
younger than we DJMLers. And drawing enough paying audience to pay the
bands a living wage that is well over union scale. And they've been
doing it successfully for a decade or so. Who among us would have
thought that was possible?

Instead of giving up on young people, go out and mingle with them.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband