[Dixielandjazz] Selling OKOM was Where are the Young People?

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Oct 20 11:00:28 PDT 2011

>  I have sure used Steve's suggestions on audience building
> and selling a band and OKOM would be better off if more people listened
> to him.

I certainly do and I enjoy and profit by tips from other musicians.  Nobody
in your market will tell you anything but everyone on the list realizes that
we have a mutual problem. I could care less about the latest Louis Armstrong
story but when it comes to sales and finding new audiences I am all ears.

I wish more of you would discuss what they find useful to promote OKOM.
Steve is about the only one who does this (Tom Wiggins too but is off list)
and I have found him to be very useful and knowledgeable.

While Steve and the guys on the coasts have a different market from those of
us in flyover land many of the suggestions are useful.

I try to be as forthcoming as I can to tell about something that I have
found success with and I pick up things from others.   I also talk about
equipment I use, where I get the info for my data base and how I sell.

I don't remember which one, Tom Wiggins or Steve Barbone that told me about
www.Vistaprint.com but that one has made me money so I tell others.  I send
postcards out fairly often to my client list.

I don't mind talking about these things on the list because the people who
book in this area aren't on the DJML and those who are, are friends.

I wish there was more discussion because until someone sells OKOM we don't
exist.
Larry
StL