[Dixielandjazz] Mickey Mouse Music pre WW 2?

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Oct 14 05:23:50 PDT 2011

Mickey bands are alive and well here in the Mid West.  As I said I have
played with the Jan Garber Band as well as others at the Crystal Ballroom in
Staunton Illinois.  The ballroom is about 50 miles North East of St, Louis.
For a small town these bands, mostly based out of the Chicago and Wisconsin
areas, draw pretty good crowds.

There is a style to it.  They typically play five tune sets made up of a
Latin, several foxtrots, a waltz and maybe a polka followed by a chaser to
clear the floor.  The band puts away music and pulls the next set.

Don't mistake these bands as being easy to play with..  The markings are
very important and if you miss very many you are out of sync with the band.
There are also frequent key signature changes. Sight reading these charts
that may be really old and worn can be a challenge.  Sometimes page two or
three isn't there.  The band members have been playing these charts forever
and there are revisions to charts that aren't written out like extra endings
so you can spend half the time trying to figure out where you are.
Sometimes the guy next to you will help sometimes not.

I think that Swing bands are somewhat easier to play with or at least easier
to sight read than Mickey band charts but that's my take on it.
Larry
StL