[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Booking

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Oct 11 20:36:47 PDT 2011

That's it Steve.  I used to have a yellow page ad and I got a lot of
browsing calls.  I lost almost all of them and I shouldn't have.  I just
hadn't figured it out yet.  I didn't do very well until I actually sat down
and wrote scripts in big print and posted them by the telephone.  I
practiced them until I pretty much had everything down pat and smooth.   You
don't want to sound like a telemarketer. My wife didn't like it much but my
batting average started to go way up.

In the last few weeks I sent out 125 post cards and booked six jobs off of
the mailing.  That's actually a little low but I booked every call.  I was
in the hospital for two weeks so maybe I missed some.  The best part is I
got two new venues.

I really think that if a leader is having trouble with booking and telephone
calls they should try it and yes price is the very last thing you need to
discuss and if you handle it right you won't get very many balks.

Another thing that Steve said that's so important is that you have to
control and guide the conversation.  The minute they control it you have a
strong chance of losing the gig.  This is often a subtle thing.  You need to
analyze every call that you don't book and figure out where it went wrong.

On price just ask them what their budget is.  One time I booked a convention
and I would have been happy with six or seven hundred dollars.  I asked the
question and found out that they had $1600.  I told them that it wouldn't be
that much and booked it for $1500.  They were happy as bugs.  They were
expecting to pay more.

BTW try to not do business by e-mail.  It's too stark.  I've only
successfully booked one job by e-mail and lost about six.  It's just another
version of how much do you charge? --- click.  They have all the power and
control, not you.  Get their phone number and call them.
Larry
StL