[Dixielandjazz] Codswallop

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 11 02:17:01 PDT 2011

why
did it take from the 1870s to the 1950s for the phrase to appear in
print? I say 1950s becauseJB Priestley's /Three men in new suits/ (1945>>

Hi Anton,
welcome to the cognoscente.

I will bow to your research about the date that `codswallop` appeared in
print but it was certainly in general use orally as another word for
`rubbish` by the time I was using it. Say 1940.

Incidentally `cod` was used in the north of England and in Scotland as a
word meaning a hoax or a fool.  Fools lemonade???

There!. Isn`t that more interesting that arguing about what sort of valve
oil was used by the tuba player in Max Schneider's College Boys 1923
recording of `Gimme that low down Chicago Meiggs Field Blues`

Cheers

Pat