[Dixielandjazz] Papa Dip

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Sun Oct 9 13:04:53 PDT 2011

Just what I feared. On the other hand N.O Wanderers (Boat-blacks) were the
same as Hot Five but with George Mitchell replacing Louis.  There seems to
be very few old recordings of that tune. At least from what I have found.
Turk Murphy has made one, I guess from the 1950´s. Some of the more famous
British revival bands have recorded it as well as  Jazzin Babies from
Holland, Louisiana Blues band, Louisiana Hot Seven and a few more European
bands. It seems to have been more well-known in Europe than in US at least
to judge from the recordings. Pity, it is such a nice tune, so typical from
that era.

Ulf Jagfors

Dear Ulf,

I do not know of any recording by Louis Armstrong of Papa Dip. I'd love to
find one!

Thanks,

--Dan.