[Dixielandjazz] Over in The Gloryland

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 8 15:28:42 PDT 2011

 Marek Boym asked in reply to my question:
>> But what about ABBA?
> "Why should we think of it, or even know it?  No reason that I can see."

Dear Marek,
(I hope I have not misread your question.)
Did you listen to the link I posted?
The answer is:
Ask the New Orleans 'revivalists' on the list. It is almost an anthem.
Or, check the versions under Jazz on YouTube.
My first encounter with with the tune was in the 1940s on a 78 by the Sam Morgan Jazz Band.
Recorded by it for Columbia in New Orleans on 22 October 1927.
It knocked me out.
It still does.
Maybe also check, the Crane River Jazz Band, Ken Colyer, Chris Barber, hometown New Orleans bands, et al.
I have a list of about 150 OKOM versions.
Very kind regards,
Bill.