[Dixielandjazz] great stuff

Greg Henry Waters gwatersusa at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 05:47:38 PDT 2011

I played in all the swing bands and styles, but never worked in a hard core
dixieland band.

It is great to learn about this from you historians. .

Greg

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 17:44:31 -0400
From: Stephen G Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
To: DJML <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong was on the scene at the
       beginning.

Marek posted that Louis (Lewis not Louie) was on the scene in the
early 1920s. Seems to me Louis was on the scene in New Orleans before
1920. For example, he took King Oliver's place in Kid Ory's band there
in 1918 when Oliver left N.O. for Chicago. Prior to that he was
playing in the Honky Tonks like Henry Ponce's and Matranga's.

By 1919 he was playing moonlight cruises with Fate Marable on the
Mississippi in N.O. In 1920, he went with Marable on the Steckenfus
boats that cruised up and down the Mississippi. That was the first
time he left N.O. They played HOT JAZZ as well as dance music.

As for White bands playing jazz and Black bands playing for dancing,
that is indeed an over simplification. Both bands did both. In fact,
jazz grew up as dance music whether played by the ODJB, Phil Napoleon,
Jimmy Durante NORK, or by Ory, Oliver, Louis or Keppard.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

--
http://www.greghenrywaters.com mp3 files, CDs, Scores, Lead Sheets, Composer
Arranger, Woodwind Performer, Music News, Greg the reviewer and More