[Dixielandjazz] Did Goodman play Dixieland?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 6 13:10:39 PDT 2011

> Greg Henry Waters <gwatersusa at gmail.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
> Everybody in NYC complains about Sol Yager and how he copied Benny
> and Benny
> really did not like it either.  But did Benny play Dixie?
>
> Like to hear your answer on this one.

Dear Greg:

No doubt he did early in his career. But later? Perhaps it depends on
how you define Dixieland. <grin>

Clarinetitis (1928)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCzPrp1_aRA&feature=fvst

  or

A swing version of Clarinet Marmalade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SpkW-w8SKgo

or

Benny with Ben Pollack in the 1920s  Wang Wang Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnMzJOdR1mY&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL4AF29EB50DD2BFDB

or

Benny with Ben Pollack and That's A Plenty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWVBFMngAmU

or again with Pollack Teagarden, McPartland et al. Whoopee Stomp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH6F2YXHFb0

For those who are interested, while searching out the above, I came
across the below. Not sure how you would classify the music, but IMO,
an amazing clip with some great musicians, from Louis to Goodman.
Anybody see this movie?

A Song is Born
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amug2YDZGAc

Cheers,