[Dixielandjazz] "Dixieland" and Condon

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 6 08:14:29 PDT 2011

This historical perspective from a New Yorker during Condon's halcyon
years who inhabited his club in the Village on a regular basis from
1949 to 1958, with a 2 year break in between for military service. And
who had numerous conversations with him and various musicians there.

Neither Condon, nor any of the musicians in his various bands liked to
be limited by the word "Dixieland" as a descriptor of the music they
played. In effect, they felt "Dixieland", with all of its baggage, was
a type of music for squares. Wild Bill Davison hated the term as it
was applied to him. And even if you didn't know him, his wife Anne
would verify that many times after his death.

Whether today, we like it or not, back then "Dixieland" was applied to
white bands. Black bands played "small band jazz". Yet the music was
the same. <grin> Condon bands were racially mixed and so the hip
musicians playing in his bands would not particularly want to be
associated with a square term like "Dixieland".

That's not very different from many musicians today, who play
Dixieland, among other genres. Most will refer to themselves as
musicians, or jazz musicians, and not Dixieland Musicians. Who among
us wishes to be limited by so restrictive a style of music?

However, Condon did use the term "Dixieland" and/or "Modern Dixieland"
when it suited him, to describe what he was playing. And what he
played at Nick's before he opened his own joint came to be known as
"Nicksieland".

He loved the music, whatever he. or we called it, but has his own
limits as to what he felt was jazz. If for example, you talked to him
about Paul Whiteman and/or Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall he would
scoff and say that Whiteman didn't play real jazz and Goodman's
Carnegie Concert certainly wasn't jazz.

Condon was a complex man, sentimental to a fault, yet hiding that
behind his facade of wisecracks. So whenever we try and quote him, or
figure out what he meant, we need to consider his entire life as a
background, and the particular situation preceding his utterance to
the particular quote.

For example, his "we called it music" quote and book title was
developed prior to the opening of his joint in  the Village. (before
1947). Yet he really called it "Jazz" or "Real Jazz" during the times
I spoke with him. And he calls it jazz" or "real jazz" throughout the
book.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband