[Dixielandjazz] Norman Granz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 15:19:53 PDT 2011

Thank you for posting this!
Was Granz a bopper?  Perhaps.  But he employed and recorded swing
musicians when the ycould hardly find work, the jazz worls being split
beween the mouldy figs and the moderninsts, noe of whom had any time
for swing!
And, moreover, the idea worked.  Altough decried by many critics as
rabble rousers, the JATP records have passed the test of time.  By the
time I discovered jazz, they had been around for a while.  At that
time I came to jazz with no prejudices, and listened indiscriminately
to anything that had "jazz" or "swing" on the label.  I knew somr
Brubeck and Modern Jazz Quartet almost by heart, but they very much
were the thing that made me a traditional and swing fan - they sounded
unconvincing.  The JATP, on the other hand, sounded great then, and
still do!
I do, however, admit and confess a great sin: I like a lot of waht
both Dizzy and Parker did (although not all).
Cheers